Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Laptop setup for offline access to phpgw data?

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Laptop setup for offline access to phpgw data?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 04:17:32 +0000

>see the Linux ext3 partition and the Linux postgres can't start up when I soft
>link /var/lib/pgsql to the matching directory under the mounted windows
partition.
>I think it's because postgres runs as user postgres by default and everything
under
>the mounted windows partition is showing up as root.root ownership with u+rwx
g+rx
>o+rx permissions

in the mount command you can specify what user "owns" the files on the vfat
partition.  Though I be suprized if it's just user perms.

>This thing is starting to get very complicated.  Does anyone have a simple way
>set up a laptop to have offline access to database data (with the condition
>that
>changes to the offline data must sync back into the main database when
reconnected
>to the LAN)?

sort anwser: no.

The way to go would be to XMLRPC/SOAP and have a binary client that holds a
copy of the users data localy, but that's quite aways away.

Outside of creating an app that can sync tables on 2 database servers I don't
think there is any easy way.  And even for that to work there would to have to
be reliable "last modified" times on every row of every table you wanted to
sync.