[Phpgroupware-users] Some questions about the applications

From: Phil Glaser
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Some questions about the applications
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 20:54:49 -0400

Hi,

I've signed up to do a demo of phpGroupWare at an exhibition of OpenSource
software that will be taking place this Friday in NYC (if anyone wants more
details, please let me know). I've been spending the last couple of days
working with phpgw and have learned quite a bit; indeed, I'm quite impressed
and am looking forward to promoting this tool, and recommneding it to my
clients. However, I have the following questions.

*********************
*** GENERAL      ****
*********************
1) I've seen Palm synchronization mentioned on this list before, but I could
not find anything about it on the site. How do you do Palm synchronization?

2) Clicking the back button in my browser frequently ends up with a "page
expired" notice; is there a way around that?

3) When there's no default application set, the upper half of the welcome
screen displays the Main Screen message, as defined in the admin panel, but
what is the lower half of the welcome screen supposed to display? Can that
be configured?

4) I've clicked the "Open notify window" and then the "Check now" link
several times and seen no effect. What is this supposed to do?

5) When viewing the detail on a calendar item, I clicked on the "Alarms"
button. It's not clear to me how this works and what it's supposed to do.

*********************
*** INFOLOG      ****
*********************
There seems to be a bit of overlap between the infolog application and the
to do list. A "to do" infolog item seems a lot like a to do list item, with
the following differences: a) an info log item can be associated directly
with an address book item; b) an infolog item can be assigned to another
user; c) you can view sub-items together. These are wonderful features.

********Questions:******
a) when creating an infolog item, there is a "Project" button that brings up
a text field to search. No matter what value I put in that field, when I
click OK the dialog and button disappears, with no indication that anything
in the record has changed. Is this meant to work like the project selection
drop-down in the todo list? Am I missing something?

b) When you assign an infolog item to someone else, is there a way for them
to receive an e-mail notification (the same way a calendar item results in
an e-mail notification)?

c) I used the "attach file" icon and went through the exercise of browsing
to a specific file on my system, but after I clicked ok, I could not see
where the file was attached in the infolog item. Am I missing something?

********Comments:*****
a) When you assign an info log item to another user, it does not show up in
the other users list unless you give read-access to your infolog. Since
Calendar items show up in other participants' calendars, even without ACL
modification, this is a little counter intuitive.

b) All other things being equal, I would say that the to do list should
merged with the infolog so there's just one of them. What's not equal are
the following points: i) It would appear that each info log item can have
only one sub item: once you assign one subitem, the Add Subitem icon no
longer appears, whereas the to do list allows multiple subitems; ii) infolog
does not have a matrix view; iii) infolog does not have a history of
changes.

Thanks!

Regards,

Phil Glaser