Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Installation and Configuration Questions

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Installation and Configuration Questions
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:10:57 +0000

>First, I succeeded in bringing up the http://192.168.1.7/phpgroupware/setup/
>as per the documentation. The setup page will not write header.inc.php for
>me due to permissions. So I downloaded the file. The problem is ****** I
>HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I SHOULD PUT header.inc.php *****. I tried puting in the
>include path as per php.ini (/usr/share/php) to no avail. If only I knew
>which directory to use, I would just set the permissions on it so apache
>could write the file in the first place. I'm really stuck now on this one.

header.inc.php goes in phpgroupware/

>Second, I installed PhpGW from the latest RPM on sourceforge
>(phpGroupWare-0.9.12-6.noarch.rpm). Everything seemed to go ok, in the sense
>that the files installed under /home/httpd/html, but I received an error
>message /templates/verdilak/table.link.tpl;3cb6e765: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch.
>Should I be worried about that? The other thing that makes me suspicious is
>that when I then tried to do rpm -e on the package to uninstall it, RPM
>thought it wasn't installed. So I'm concerned that the install didn't really
>complete.
All the RPM for phpgw does for you is extract the tarball.  Since this is not
compiled and there are no system libs the RPM gives you nothing very usefull.
uninstall is done by rm -Rf which is exactly the same number of chars as rpm -e
so
you gain nothing at all.

>Third, as the RPM ran, it said it could not find user and group phpgroupware
>and so used root instead (if I'd known I would have created them ahead of
>time). To compensate I created the phpgroupware user and group and then
>chown'd and chgrp'd everything under /home/httpd/html/phpgroupware to them.
>Is this sufficient, or do I need to do anything else?
I have no idea why this is.  p[hpgw does not need it's own system user for
anything.  The only permissions it needs is read world and the owner doesn't
really
matter.

>Fourth, if I want to put my document root somewhere else (apache default is
>/var/www/html), can I just move phpgroupware directory tree there, or is RPM
>doing anything else that would need to be changed. Alternatively, is there a
>way to tell RPM where to install the files?
The RPM database will care, but as long as you change the full paths you
entered in
the header admin and setup apache right phpgw will not care.

Since you are using .12, I recomend either getting the .12 cvs branch or using
the
latest .14 cvs branch.  I think .14 is even more stable than the .12-branch at
this
time.

to get the latest .14, make sure you have a cvs client installed and then run
these
commands:
1) cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/phpgroupware co -r Version-
0_9_14-branch phpgroupware
2) cd phpgroupware
3) cvs co -r Version-0_9_14-branch admin addressbook calendar email phpgwapi
preferences setup todo notes

Add whatever apps you want from the CVS tree to the 3rd command.  You will be
much
happier with .14 than with any .12 version.  Note that phpWebHosting is the
replacement for filemanager in .14 and felamimail(sp? too lazy to verify) is the
new name for squirelmail as of .14