[Phpgroupware-users] Courier IMAP: How to authenticate users?

From: Frederic Faure
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Courier IMAP: How to authenticate users?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:39:19 +0100

Hi,

As instructed, I built the RPM package from the latest and greatest Courier IMAP tarball, installed it, and am now trying it out before moving to installing Qmail.

Problem is... the INSTALL document doesn't explain what to do after running rpm -Uvh, ie. do I need to do anything to set up Maildirs, do I need to tell Courier IMAP to use /etc/shadow, etc.

Since I couldn't find what the commands are to log on with IMAP, I tried POP3 (trimmed a bit):

# telnet localhost pop3
+OK Hello there.
user ffaure
+OK Password required.
pass testtest
-ERR Maildir: No such file or directory
Connection closed by foreign host.

FYI, I ran "/usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/maildirmake /home/ffaure/MailDir" before trying the above, and left /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/authdaemonrc with its default of "authmodulelist="authcustom authcram authuserdb authldap authpam" ".

I've also tried twiching /usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd, to no avail:
AUTHMODULES="authdaemon"
#AUTHMODULES="authshadow"
#AUTHMODULES="authpam"

Does it mean that the RPM doesn't handle shadow files? Should I build a userdb instead, and if yes, how do I do this?

Thx
Fred.