[Phpgroupware-users] Request for Help: Outlook <-> PHP Groupware Syncron

From: Terence Haddock
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] Request for Help: Outlook <-> PHP Groupware Syncronization Tool
Date: 09 Feb 2002 11:26:10 -0500

Dear PHP Groupware Users and Developers,

I find PHP Groupware to be a useful and fun tool to use. However, many
people are comfortable client tools such as Microsoft Outlook and Ximian
Evolution to schedule their appointments and manage contacts. It is my
opinion that a synchronization tool between these clients and PHP
Groupware would be useful for users, and quite beneficial to PHP
Groupware. I feel there is interest for such a tool, but many users and
developers may not have realized that the tools are in our grasp to make
it a reality.

With this in mind, I have created a 'proof of concept' code which
uploads Outlook addressbook entries to PHP Groupware entries. Not all
data can be transferred 100%, some data does not exist in PHP Groupware,
and other data is very difficult to map.  This code uses very simple
rules, and may be simply wrong for some data. Also, it does not support
'updating' the data, meaning every time it is ran it will simply attempt
to re-upload everything. Conflict management helps keep this from being
a mess if you do run it more than once, but please do not use it in a
production environment.

The code, the requirements, and some information can be found here:

http://www.tripi.com/olsync

I invite developers to take a look and inform me directly if you wish to
help me bring such a project into full reality as an Open Source tool.

Sincerely,
Terence Haddock
Tripi Software