Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpgroupware&debian

From: Travis Tabbal
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] phpgroupware&debian
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:50:10 -0700 (MST)

> Are there any debian users who have managed to install this thing and
> got it working?

I'm on Debian, I compiled my own Apache, PHP4, and PGSQL. I could not get
the MySQL that Debian has compiled to work with PHPGroupware. Moving to the
latest PostgreSQL fixed all of my problems. Apache and PHP worked fine. Till
I messed something up. They just stopped working. Deleting everything
(manually rm -r the config) didn't help. So I broke down and made my own.
Even though it said it could create the tables, there were some errors.
Also, make sure the phpgroupware directory is owned by the webserver user
(www-data by default IIRC). That way it can write it's own config files. I'm
not sure how that affects security, if Apache were compromised, your
phpgroupware directory would be accessable, so make backups. Or change the
permissions back after the config steps. I think it stores everything in the
database after the initial config anyway. So far, I have been able to use
most of the main features with no problems.

Note: The PostgreSQL in debian/stable is OLD. If you switch, you will need
to build your own. It's easy though, ./configure; make. Just like 99% of
Linux software. The docs on the website were usefull too.

Travis