[Phpgroupware-users] RE: Downloading CVS Qs

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] RE: Downloading CVS Qs
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 21:43:24 +1100

> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 22:26:10 +1100 (EST)
> From: Bob Purdon - Lists <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Downloading CVS Qs
>

> > I like this program but seems to have alot of broken
> > apps and links etc. Seems kinda in a disarry and disorganization.
>
> I'm getting that impression too - not helped by the project seemingly
> being half way between two homes, and bits still split between the
> two.

I've been running phpGroupWare (stable or currently 0.9.12) for about 9
months and it has seemed somewhat this way since then in the development
branch of cvs.  As there are over 50 developers working in their own
time on phpgw there is likely to be people working at different paces
and with different priorities.

> > I would like to get the latest stable version but not sure what
> it is.
> > What is it ? when I start phpgroupware it says api 0.9.12 on the
> login> screen. Am running on Freebsed.
>
> I think 0.9.12 is the stable version, but I could be wrong.  It's
> certainly what I'm running here and the features I want to use
> seem stable
> enough.

0.9.12 is the current stable version - runs fine for me.  The
0.9.12-branch in cvs has a few bug fixes in which are worth grabbing.
See docs.phphroupware.org for more info.

> I'd like to move up to something more like the CVS demo version on the
> phpgroupware.org site, but that doesn't seem as easy as it sounds.
> After a few days of trying, I found enough info to download something
> at leastclose to that version, but it broke badly when I installed it
> in a test environment.
>
> I dumped the data to a new database and ran the setup through, but
> some of
> the applications (including phpgwapi) showed by broken.  When I
> tried to
> fix those, even more broke.  I guess the upgrade doesn't work.  I know
> it's still in a state of development, but it was a little
> disappointing to
> see it break so badly.

The cvs development branch may well be broken - it don't use it for that
reason.  It is constantly under development.  If you rely on it working
stick with the stable branch which is generally ok.  If not let the
developers know on irc.openprojects.org and they will try to fix it
asap.

> Oh well, I'll either wait a few more days and try again (if I've got
> time), or wait for a full release.

If you want to know that is will pretty much be spot on wait for the
next release, but also try grabbing the stable branch every so often to
make sure you have the most recent fixes.

skwashd
Dave Hall