[Phpgroupware-docteam] Re: Change the character encoding of a postgresql

From: Hans-Juergen Tappe
Subject: [Phpgroupware-docteam] Re: Change the character encoding of a postgresql database
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:23:43 +0200

Hi!

Brian Johnson wrote:
I don't totally understand the problem or solution
Maybe someone else can deal with it?

What to do to get to the problem:
- install postgresq 7.4.5
- create a DB using encoding UNICODE
- install phpgroupware 0.9.16.003
- try to insert special characters.

PostgreSQL Error: 1 (ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE"
during a SQL command containg a special character.
Due to this problem with german special characters (Umlaute) I needed to
change the character encoding of a postgresql phpgroupware database
(UNICODE is not supported yet, it seems; SQL_ASCII woks fine for

This is merely a workaround.

For problem descriptions see also