[Phpgroupware-docteam] Change the character encoding of a postgresql dat

From: Hans-Juergen Tappe
Subject: [Phpgroupware-docteam] Change the character encoding of a postgresql database
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:29:53 +0200

Hi!

I faced the following Problem:
PostgreSQL Error: 1 (ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE"
during a SQL command containg a special character.

Due to this problem with german special characters (Umlaute) I needed to change the character encoding of a postgresql phpgroupware database (UNICODE is not supported yet, it seems; SQL_ASCII woks fine for european special characters). I did not find the solution on the internet, so I thought, I might send it to this list. Maybe it could be inserted into some FAQ about phpgroupware.

To change the encoding, do the following:

pg_dump phpgroupware > phpgroupware.pgdump
vim phpgroupware.pgdump ### edit character coding
dropdb phpgroupware
createdb -E SQL_ASCII phpgroupware
psql -l ### check for the encoding
psql phpgroupware < phpgroupware.pgdump