Re: [Phpgroupware-docteam] Yes I said something Crazy about the manual

From: brandonne
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-docteam] Yes I said something Crazy about the manual
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:46:57 -0700

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 02:28:28PM -0600, Josh Miller wrote:
>Id apreciate the server access.  I used to have a firewall I ran tests on,
>but it went in May.
>
>I think Seek3r has decided to come up with a list of REQS for the inline
>docs.  Hopefully he will ge that done this evening, and we can mold what is
>in the CVs and what you have around them.

I have a simple program that can pull out the code documentation and get in
online until Seek3r has whatever he's working on ironed out.  I think having it
online will encourage other developers to update thier documentation.

>Yeah, well about the SGML->(online) Documentation.. its a long one but here
>goes. Seek3r wants the documentation to be portable, so it can be viewed
>outside phpGW by external servers and client.(specificly I don't have
>examples)  the API has functions to enable the XML functionality without all
>the extra compiled dependencies, I don't know how this is in performance.
>Requireing that external developers build docs in SGML and then compile to
>HTML for help is just going to cause peopel to just create the html and skip
>the docbook part, they care about the way it looks, not with it fitting into
>the grand scheme.  Help Searches would be easier to implement if the data
>was tagged.  I was arguing that any processor time, on what would be static
>data, is too much processor time, but I think the overhead on this would be
>low enough not to matter.  But I guess we aould need to see it to know for
>sure.

My one caveat about this whole project is it seems to be getting exponentially
more complicated.  We don't even have a decent basic system working and we
worried about exporting to as yet unknown apps.
I don't understand why the documentation has to be exportable, it's written
specifically for this app, not for another client or server.  It's hard enough
that we have to deal with multiple themes, it will be even harder if we have to
consider different clients.
We can still have precompiled HTML along with the SGML on the same machine, of
all things, file system space should fall far below performance in priorities.

What sort of XML functionality is built in to the API?  I currently don't have
any access and I'm about ready to kill someone at @home.

Which people are going to skip Docbook and write the HTML directly?  Right now
no one is doing anything, and once we have a standards document, writing it in
DocBook will be no more difficult that writing it in HTML, with the added
advantage that it can be put in printable and online documentation as well.

As for searching, the indexes should be built before they are actually used
anyway right?  I don't see any reason that we can't build the indexes from XML
and use that to point to the HTML.