partysip-dev

[Partysip-dev] Some very newbie questions

From: Peter Reinhold
Subject: [Partysip-dev] Some very newbie questions
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:54:03 +0200

Hi All,

Please excuse me if this is not the correct place to ask my questions, but I am a SIP neophyte, and have been unable to find any substantial source of information about SIP and how to set it up, and have not been able to get any usable information from the Source code to PartySIP (on the site, it says to read the source for documentation)

So, I hope that someone will be able and willing to at least give me a few pointers, and let me know if my plan is doable, or if I should just drop it.

My situation is this, I think that SIP and VoIP sounds very interesting, and would like to set up some sort of private server, so I can have a little bit more control of who, what, where and when :-)

Currently I am looking at using PartySIP (note, I am running on a windows platform, as I am a totalt Linux idiot :), seeing as this is the only SIP server software that I have found which seems to be able to run on Windows, and I am using the XTen X-Lite software SIP phone for communication (if and when I get this to work properly, I want to buy a hardware VoIP handset, something like www.sipphone.com)

So, if I would want to set up PartySIP so I can call myself using the "phonenumber" 00001, how would I go about that?

I have tinkered a little bit with the .conf file, and have got both PartySIP running, and the X-Lite phone to connect to the server (at least I think, it says it is connected), but every time I try and call another number, it just says service unavailable.

Is it at all possible to set up some sort of global phonebook in PartySIP?

What benefits do I have from adding users to the .conf file? (I see that I can do this, down at the bottom)

Are there any other things I should be on the lookout for / be aware of?

I hope you can at least give me some pointers, as PartySIP is pretty hard to figure out when you have little knowledge about SIP in general :)

Kind Regards,
Peter Reinhold