partysip-dev

Re: [Partysip-dev] Modification of Request URI in partysip?

From: Aymeric Moizard
Subject: Re: [Partysip-dev] Modification of Request URI in partysip?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:15:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Walter Schober wrote:

> Hi!
>
> How far is Partysip RFC3261 conform? Because acc. to the RFC RFC 3261,
> 16.6, point 7: Determine the next-hop address, port, and transport the
> proxy should add a Via-Field only and must not change the Request URI.
> Otherwise the Invited user cannot be found.

First, I think a proxy have the right to modify the request-uri. I'm
pretty sure of that.

In your case, on the second proxy, it seems that both "labor.uta.at" and
"sip-proxy.labor.uta.at" resolv to the same ip. At least, this is the same
domain of users. In this situation partysip, (if well configured) would
understand that both uri:
sip:address@hidden and sip:address@hidden
points to the same user.

To make this work in partysip you just have to specify both names
in the "servername" configuration:

servername = sip-proxy.labor.uta.at, labor.uta.at

so that evry message coming with this uri is detected as a local uri
and partysip will loukup for a local user.

Of course, in your case (SRV record resolution), it would be a nice
feature to have the possibility to configure partysip so that it would
keep the uri intact and still use the new "sip-proxy.labor.uta.at"
name to send the request. As of today, this is not possible.

This feature would be a lot more interesting when you want to forward a
call to another proxy without modifying the request-uri. For example, the
filter plugin in partysip would be much more usefull if it was possible.

To conclude:

In your situation, my feeling is that the second proxy is guilty.
In other situations, it would be a nice feature to have the capability
to not modify the uri while fowarding a call to another proxy.

Aymeric