partysip-dev

[Partysip-dev] MSN Messenger & Authentication

From: Stevens, Del
Subject: [Partysip-dev] MSN Messenger & Authentication
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:40:21 -0500

I am looking for confirmation that MSN Messenger (4.6.xxx or better) has
Digest Authentication and that some SIP UA has successfully gotten this to
work.

Here is the scenario:

I configure MSN Messenger (4.6.082) to use Communication Service that points
to my UA using UDP. I try to sign-in to Messenger which causes a REGISTER to
be sent to my UA. I challenge the REGISTER with a 401 response that has a
WWW-Authenticate header. On receipt of the 401, Messenger pops up a window
asking for username and password. I fill this information in, click ok, and
another REGISTER is sent to my UA but WITHOUT the Authorization header.

I see on sipcenter that Messenger does not support Authentication, yet there
are other emails floating around that seem to indicate it does work.

Anyone with information one way or the other please let the world (and me)
know what you have found out. If you did get it to work please let me know
how.

Thanks,

Del Stevens
mailto:address@hidden