parallel

Whether the parallel tool has the similar size limit problem as xargs?

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Whether the parallel tool has the similar size limit problem as xargs?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 11:12:42 +0800

As far as the following command is concerned:

$ find ./source -type f | xargs sort -o bbb -u

Lew Pitcher told me that it has the following limitation [1]:

The above command depends on xargs(1) to provide sort(1) with a list
of input files. As the size of this list depends on both the number of
files found, /and/ the maximum size of an argument vector (argv[]), there
is a chance that the file bbb will only contain the sorted contents of
a subset of the files found by find(1).

[1] https://groups.google.com/g/comp.unix.shell/c/ha5t3U54GmY/m/M3tIUPtPBAAJ

So, I want to know whether the parallel tool still has the similar problem.

Regards,
HZ