parallel

Inserting Parallel argument into command script

From: Miriam Dixon
Subject: Inserting Parallel argument into command script
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:49:22 +1200

Hi,

I am very new to Parallel, Linux, and computing in general but I need to use it for my Masters Thesis, so I am doing my best to learn quickly.

For my project, I am running a simulation using GATE, and I have a shell script to run the simulation for each of four different projection angles. I want to run each projection angle simulation on a different core, to speed things along and use the computer memory efficiently. I tried to do this by pulling projAngles out of my script and calling it as a parallel argument.
parallel runSim.sh --projAngles {1} ::: 0 45 90 135

This seemed to work, in that it started my runSim.sh, but it didn't use the value from projAngles within the script,
time=$(bc -l <<< "$projAngles*$timePerProjection")

Is there a way in the script or in parallel to insert the particular projAngles value for that run, and use it to calculate the next step?

Cheers,
Miriam