parallel

Re: Odd space in output

From: Joe Sapp
Subject: Re: Odd space in output
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:03:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Morten Bo Johansen <mbj@spamcop.net> wrote:
Sorry for the only partially descriptive subject ...but if I do

   parallel echo ::: {a..b} ::: {a..b}

to get some permutations of the letters a-b, then the output
reads

  a a
  a b
  b a
  b b

I know tr -d ' ' but why the space between the letters?

This doesn't answer your question, but specifying the arguments to echo using replacement strings works as you expect:
parallel echo {1}{2} ::: {a..b} ::: {a..b}

My guess would be that Parallel assumes the arguments following ::: are actually separate arguments to the command given, so they should be separated by a space.  So executing `echo a b` would give the same output as parallel.

--
Joe