Re: [paragui-users] ParaGui and OpenGL

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] ParaGui and OpenGL
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:16:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, "Andre Groß" wrote:

> Hi !!
>
> What's about "ParaGL" and "OpenGl-ParaGUI". I read something about
> that in the archive. But this mails are from 2002. :-(
> Is there no support for OpenGL ?

Summary of my explorations:
- OpenGL and SDL don't share video nicely.  They never really have either.
  SDL -does- share nicely otherwise.
- ParaGUI uses SDL.  Therefore it won't run under OpenGL.
- However - theoretically it's possible to embed an OpenGL widget inside
  of a ParaGUI system.  Note that the last implementation (ParaGL) may not
  be operational due to many changes in ParaGUI since it was written...
  and SDL for that matter.  (actually IIRC it's a key SDL change)
- Making ParaGUI run under OpenGL (accelerated) is not only an exercise in
  frustration but even if you do somehow make it work, people will hate it.
        (maybe it's just me)
- Porting ParaGUI to C is even worse.  *silly grin*
        (this kind of proves my previous () comment)

Oh, ParaGUI is somewhat thread-unfriendly.  But then so is every other GUI
kit I've found except GTK.  and GTK -really- doesn't share nicely or
support replaceable videodrivers.  Rather a pity that.

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis