[paragui-users] ParaGUI and Networking - need advice

From: leiavoia
Subject: [paragui-users] ParaGUI and Networking - need advice
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:55:43 -0500

first of all, glad the project is getting some new attention. please keep up
the good work. i always keep tabs on this mailing list.

i have a question pehaps someone can answer. My current game project is
multiplayer. I'd like to implement the networking code with SDL_net, since
it's compatable and handy. The examples that come with SDL_net all listen for
incoming data from other computers with a simple while(1) loop. Obviously,
this is unnacceptable for a GUI application, as the while(1) loop would steal
from the main ParaGUI/SDL event loop. sooo... is there a way to check a data
buffer for incoming info (from other computers on the network) on every cycle
of the event loop without re-writing the pgapplication widget?

The application widget runs the event loop. but is there any way to insert
things into it's inner workings? It's checks for events and cursor updates
and visibility and all that. that's nice, but i also need to to listen to
ports for networking jazz.

Any way to do this without messing with the internals of ParaGUI and without
making my program all the more complicated by introducing threads (which
leads to compatability issues)?

thanks for any advice.

--
leiavoia