Re: [paragui-users] patch file for fixes

From: Mark Junker
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] patch file for fixes
Date: 23 Jun 2003 16:51:00 +0100

>> Fixes:
>> 1. Event system (breaks binary compatibility)
[..]
> What about leaving the old versions of RegisterEventHandlerObj and
> SetEventObject untouched (and mark them deprecated in the docs). The new
> versions of these functions (with the new param list) shouldn't
> interfere with the old ones.
> What do you think ?
I'm still not sure if my "solution" to the event system really works under
any circumstances. It needs extensive testing.

However, the replacement of SetEventObject should assure that the sources can
compile against this version of ParaGUI without any changes. I'm not sure if
it's a good idea to keep the old functions and mark them as deprecated. This
still allows other users to use this function. When they switch to a new
compiler or compiler version, it may cause exceptions in their application.

The function PG_RegisterEventHandlerObj is - AFAIK - barely used directly. So
there is probably no need to break the binary compatibility at this point.
Instead its implementation can be changed to throw an exception if it is used
and a new function - maybe called PG_RegisterEventHandlerObjEx or something
like that - can be invented.

As I previously wrote, it might be very useful to use libsigc++ instead of a
self-built event handler (signal/slot) system because it's a solid-proven
library.

Regards,
Mark Junker