Re: [paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] playing with design again (opengl)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:48:02 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Roger D. Vargas wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Teunis Peters wrote:
>

> > What I'm trying to work with is getting 'pgmpeg' support to work without
> > crashing hard.  pgmpeg has it's own rendering threads and this is a
> > violent conflict with X and OpenGL...
> >
> Why not to rewrite it in a non-threaded way? Mplayer works that way. Of
> course you wont get advantage in smp, but not everybody has a zaphod
> (like me :) ).

setting up to.  Actually probably going to write an avifile renderer or
possibly something to do with MPlayer :)

Still - I'm thinking this requires more thought...  or just handling.
Okay: a slightly clearer question *g*:

        Is there a way to have a secondary-threaded object update it's
        information WITHOUT rendering to the screen immediately?

I do a -lot- of multithreaded code btw.  Rendering is one of the ickiest
points to deal with...   and I've written a multithreaded caching
videoplayer before designed to deal with RT input - eg a TV-card or
videocamera - where video frames are provided at a fixed rate but the
system may not be able to display them at a fixed rate.  Making this run
without locking itself up was fun :)

I'm working on rewriting this code inside of ParaGUI...
videoconferencing, videoplaying (and recording :), of course
audioconferencing and text as well *g*, all within a 3D env.  (the code I
have already works but has -no- user interface *ick*).  Oh there may be
multiple videosources happening simultaneously.  My computer for instance
has a videocamera, tv card and possibly multiple incoming videochats :)
(actually likely just one with my brother :)

there may be subapps and there -will- be threads.  am working on a way to
handle both with paragui without harming efficiency or usability too much.
As the changes I've made are kind of intrusive, there's no point to
worrying about backwards compatibility other than making it at least
-work- similarily to prior versions...

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis