[Paparazzi-devel] Using a serial data-link for Ar.Drone 2

From: Riccardo Paolo Bestetti
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Using a serial data-link for Ar.Drone 2
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 19:42:56 +0200

Hello.

First of all, I apologize if this was already addressed either here or on the Wiki, but I could find the information. So, if it has, please point me to it.

I'm trying to set up a communication link between the computer and the Ar.Drone2 to replace the Wi-Fi link. It consists of a wireless radio that simply bi-directionally relays serial data.
On the computer, if I understand correctly, all I have to do is use a USB-serial session (and change the defaults according to my specific hardware configuration) and I should be set for both the telemetry and the datalink.

Now, I see in the airframe configuration files the "telemetry" and "radio_control" subsystems.

For the telemetry, I should be able to set the type to "transparent" and then set the baudrate appropriately (by the way, is the UART port configured for the Ar.Drone2 board? And if it isn't, how can I do that?).
For the radio_control, I shall leave the "datalink" type. What I don't get, is how to tell the subsystem what link to listen to.

I hope you can help me, I'm really lost in the complexity of this mighty piece of software. :)

Regards,
--- Riccardo Paolo Bestetti