Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ChibiOS v3 in Paparazzi
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 10:26:47 +0200

The FBW - AP has not changed very much for fixedwings and can still run on separate processors. Moreover: for rotorcraft it was recently added.

Obviously a thread safe copy mechanism still needs to be added to run AP and FBW in 2 threads but that should(TM) be relatively simple.

-Christophe

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Tilman Baumann <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/06/16 16:38, Gautier Hattenberger wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We have just integrated in the latest master branch of Paparazzi a
> proper support of the ChibiOS HAL and RT kernel v3.1.
>
> Previously, we had an uncomfortable mix of ChibiOS and libopencm3
> whose purpose was to log file on the SD card of the Apogee board.
>
> Now, there is a proper implementation of the MCU drivers only using
> ChibiOS HAL. At the moment, each driver runs in his own thread, while
> the rest of the autopilot is running in a monolithic thread. This may
> evolve in the future, but it is already possible to create payload
> modules that start and run into dedicated threads for instance.
> The previous functionalities, especially logging using the SDIO port
> are of course preserved.
This is great news indeed.
I seem to remember that the core used to be split into a AP and a FBW
bit and even used to run on separate CPU. Has that split, over time,
grown together too much to be ripped apart again?
Or was that just not a priority?
Then there is of course the question if it's even worth it...