Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Feasability of ardrone with paparazzi for surveill

From: Ori Pessach
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Feasability of ardrone with paparazzi for surveillance
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 11:14:51 -0700

I haven't had much luck flying the AR Drone with paparazzi. I found it extremely unstable.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Thomas Wuensche <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

for surveillance of fields against theft I consider to
use an ardrone 2, which I have laying around. However for
that I need a stable and easy-to-operate system, as the
ardrone has to make repeated flights a day and has to be
handled by persons without big experience.

We had a few crashes with the ardrone in earlier tests,
probably partially due to issues with mag calibration,
partially due to non-stable operation of the ardrone with
paparazzi, but that was already back in 2014.

So my question is whether there have been improvements in the
meantime? The need to calibrate the mag in manual control by
the operator with parrot standard software before switching to
paparazzi and starting a flight is not a procedure which can
reasonably be done by untrained personal a few times a day
and occasional loss of sensor data and crashes also is not
very helpful.

So I really hope further developments did fix these problems
in the meantime (I understand it was more of an ardrone issue
than a paparazzi issue).

Any information welcome!

Thomas Wuensche
--