[Paparazzi-devel] Project name

From: Andreas Philipp
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Project name
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:11:30 +0200

Hi,

I am wondering about the projects name "paparazzi" which might be funny but is hard to explain in scientific talks, to public authorities or to people who are sceptic about "drones" anyway.

Does anybody know the meaning of the original name of the project "PaparaDzIY" (http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/gallery_v0.html) and how and why it changed? I searched in the wiki for any hint on the meaning of the original name but didn't find any further explanation (might be added to the FAQ page then).

It might be possible to use an official abbreviation consisting of some letters as an alternative to "paparazzi" (e.g. PPZ or PDIY from the original name) if the single letters would have a (preferably technical) meaning which can be explained (like Partially Piloted Zigzag flying vehicle, just joking). Such an (more serious) acronym would help a lot ... would this be reasonable for the project maintainers?

Thanks!
Andreas