Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa Board Power issue

From: Piotr Esden-Tempski
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa Board Power issue
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:33:58 -0700

Hi,

If you look into the wiki page of the Lisa/M you will find this:

http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/File:LisaM_warning_label.png

So you are right. You should use a BEC instead of powering the Lisa/M directly from the battery. It does work (this is why the wiring diagram you are referring to exists) but it is definitely not a recommended practice.

It is using a linear voltage regulator that has to dissipate at least 0.1A * 9V = .9W if you attach radios and servos to the board you will be above 1W dissipation and likely make the regulator burn.

Using a uBEC and powering the board at 5V from there should be a safe bet. Be careful though, if you decide to not power the BEC and supply power to the board using USB connector you can burn the diode in the circuit. In some cases an unpowered uBEC basically shorts its output pins, you should measure that with a multimeter. Adding a input diode behind the BEC might be a good idea.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Piotr

--