Re: [Paparazzi-devel] MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers

From: Rolf Noellenburg
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] MS4525 Airspeed sensor drivers
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:07:39 +0200

Hi.

Yes, according to the datasheet, the AMS sensors are temperatur compensated.
I own two AMS sensors, one 5812-0003 and one 5812-0001. The biggest advantage of the -0001 is its resolution, at least for the airframe where I'm using it. The aircraft has a loiter airspeed of 8.5 m/s and is optimized for endurance. At this point, the resulution of the -0001 is about 0,0038 m/s whereas the resolution of the MS4525 would be 0,082 m/s (using the data provided by 3DR). This advantage gets smaller, the faster the aircraft travels. At 25 m/s the resolution is about 0,0013m/s and 0,028 m/s. Both resolutions should be more then enough at that speed.

Maximum speed for the -0001 is about 41 m/s, for the -0003 about 58 m/s and for the MS4525DO about 100 m/s (according 3DR).

Biggest advantage of the MS4525DO is, that it can be bought ready-to-use from 3DR with probe while the AMS needs some soldering (Resistors for I2C).

So, in my opinion, it depends on the aircraft and your soldering skills/will. I came from analog 7002s (in another airframe) and am more than happy with the performance of the AMS 5812-0001. But I think I will acquire a MS4525DO for faster planes, too.

Rolf