Re: [Paparazzi-devel] XSens 700 and airplane on-screen orientation.

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] XSens 700 and airplane on-screen orientation.
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 23:18:50 +0200

Hi Simon,

OK, thanks. I got it now. I wasn't aware that this device was an AHRS of
its own. At first, I thought this was just an older IMU in a bulky kind
of casing.

The xsens700 MTI-G with GPS is actually a full INS (so including full position and velocity).

I wonder if the performance is really much better than the AHRS systems
in Paparazzi. So far I never found a reason to use anything else for my
fixed wing.

While I don't have any experience/data with/from it, I presume it is better than using only an AHRS algorithm.
With a full INS you can always get better performance since you need to make less assumptions...
But I'm glad that you seem to be happy with the AHRS algos we implemented.