Re: [Paparazzi-devel] control modes of fixed-wing aircrafts

From: wertrrte
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] control modes of fixed-wing aircrafts
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 23:15:35 -0700 (PDT)

Well,It's some time since my post of this thread.Here is some of my current
understanding about them.Hope it can help anyone else struggling to
understand the code.I try to but do NOT guarantee I am completely right.If I
am wrong,please let me know and I will correct it.

The different modes are used for our different needs.

Different mode types have different level of effect on the code.For example
'pprz_mode' has the highest level of effect on the behaviour of the
plane,while 'lateral_mode' affects only small part of the plane's
behaviour.In some cases,higher level modes directly decide lower level
modes.For example,'nav_mode' always decides 'lateral_mode'. The following is
some summary about certain modes.

For v_ctl_mode:

If we want to keep hight while flying,V_CTL_MODE_AUTO_ALT should be
activated.and only in this case,will v_ctl_altitude_loop be executed.
If we want to glide down,pre-command is needed and V_CTL_MODE_AUTO_ALT
should not be activated.

For lateral_mode:
Only when LATERAL_MODE_COURSE is activated,is 'h_ctl_course_loop'
executed.Otherwise,the function of 'h_ctl_course_loop' is done elsewhere.

For horizontal_mode:
It seems modes of this type have no effect on the behaviour of the code,it
merely tells us some information...

For nav_mode:
It has effect on the behaviour of coordinated bank.And it seems that
NAV_MODE_COURSE is always activated and no code relies on NAV_MODE_ROLL.