Re: [Paparazzi-devel] The rotorcraft rotates self when flying or around

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] The rotorcraft rotates self when flying or around take off
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:42:09 +0200

Everything your yaw stick steers before you take off is "remembered" and on take off the quad will turn to that setpoint. If your yaw is not well trimmed and you take off slowly it can easily turn your quad many degrees left or right because the heading setpoint moved left or right integrating your non trimmed stick for several seconds.

After putting a little throttle, just not enough to take off, steer the heading setpoint very slowly left or right until all motors turn at the same speed again. If 2 of the 4 are running more rapidly it means your setpoint is not in the direction the quad is now and upon takeoff it will heading jump left or right. If you steer the heading slowly in the direction where the motors that run fastest (which you hear best) slow down until all 4 are more or less equal than after takeoff there will be no more jump.

Other things that can contribute: calibrate your magnetometer as heading drift has the same effect, trim your transmitter so paparazzi sees zero commands in the messages, or increase the yaw deadband.