Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Airframe Suggestions/ Flight readiness of default

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Airframe Suggestions/ Flight readiness of default airframes
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 21:41:34 -0600

We use the 2013 Skywalker. The gains are not difficult to set.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM, andrewjowsey <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Currently, we are in the process of deciding a airframe for a new
lightweight UAV (imaging and autonomous flight) . Originally, much success
was found in the Hobbyking EPP FPV (link below) but they have been in
backorder for over 6 months. Ideally, we would order another after our last
crash but this airframe is simply unavailable. Certain benefits such as soft
crashes, easy to disassemble, cheap, and effective payload capacity were
very useful. We need a flight-time ranging from 30-45 minutes and an
additional payload of 1.2kg (not including servos or motor).
*
Hobbyking EPP FPV:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14465__epp_fpv_1_8m_x_large_epp_carbon_fiber_r_c_plane.html*

In the attempt to obtain a similar airframe, the Skywalker FPV and the
Skywalker X8 look like a viable candidates for our objectives. My first
question(s) is: Does anyone know of successful autonomous applications for
these frames? If so, are their any available configuration files? As I
understand with fixed-wing airframes,  like the X8, they require experienced
pilots due to their aerodynamics. Additionally, once a payload is added, how
difficult would it be to implement a launcher/catapult?

*Skywalker FPV:
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/2014-version-skywalker-1800.html
Skywalker X8:
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/Latset-Version-Black-skywalker-X8-Flying-Wing-.html*

Without an operating airframe, our group of engineering students are still
looking towards developing a better understanding of the Paparazzi
autopilot. There are many different aircraft configurations already
available such as the bixler or easystar. We already possess a Bixler, so my
second question(s) is: How to up-to-date are the auto1 and auto2 gains for
the 'examples/bixler_lisa_m_2.xml' in Paparazzi Master? If one of these
configurations are already stable/reliable, this would be a good starting
place for auto tuning training.

Thank you for the help,
Andrew