Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AR.Drone vertical velocity without SONAR

From: Eric Poppe
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AR.Drone vertical velocity without SONAR
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 11:55:06 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for the calibration suggestion, somehow I forgot to do that. Now I did calibrate it but it doesn't solve the current problem.

Before I was using version v5.1.0_testing-24-gf3d4b4e-dirty, now I fetched master and used v5.1.1_testing-4-g3fb9dd7-dirty. I attached a new log with VFF and VFF_EXTENDED (12_36_42). Again after moving the drone up and down several times I hold it still while rotating it around. As you can see at first no bias develops but after a while it does. Also, at the end of the log I place the drone on a flat table and the pitch and roll show a significant error (8 degrees and 27 degrees) that is slowly eliminated. I found similar behavior while using another AR.Drone.

I think the cause of the problem must be sought in the attitude estimation. The attitude estimate is sometimes wrong with more than 20 degrees when placed on a flat surface, also with other AR.Drones. It makes sense that this can cause the errors in the velocity estimate as the gravity vector will also be wrongly placed.

I thought a fast changing bias in the accelerometers might cause the attitude error but when I read the raw accelero meters I don't see a change in bias at all. I added another log (13_20_58) with sometimes raw_sensor and sometimes default telemetry. It's a bit hard to analyse due to the switches in telemetry but every time I place the drone on a flat surface ax, ay and az read 2052 and 2080 and 1565 almost exactly, while the attitude has errors up to 15 degrees.

Any other suggestions for the cause of the rather large attitude errors and vertical velocity issues?

Thanks for the help so far!

Kind regards,

Eric