[Paparazzi-devel] USC Student Competition Results

From: paparazzi_guy
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] USC Student Competition Results
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:16:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everybody,

We are on our way back from the Unmanned Systems Canada UAS competition,
which was open to various Universities in Canada. We are both exhausted and
relieved to be done.

For the competition we had to survey an area, locate various targets,
calculate their color, shape, and volume, and display this data to the
judges.

We were very ambitious with our designs and we had an autonomous antenna
tracker, bungee launcher, stored real-time data into our datacenter that
could be viewed by clients, and had an intelligent image processing
software. However, after multiple all-nighters not all of the these systems
were working during the competition.

Before we flew, we had to demonstrate our failsafes to the judges, which was
very successful, thanks to your guys’ help. We had two flights at the
competition, but unfortunately the elevator broke early during the first
flight and we had to crash land. We used our back up fuselage for the second
flight but this time we couldn’t get a telemetry link with the UAV meaning
that we could not fly with the autopilot. We think this might have been due
to some interference because one or two other teams had this same problem.
So we had to fly in manual and tried our best to survey the large area. The
area was so large that we eventually lost RC connection and our flight ended
early.

We were able to locate four out of ten targets and we wrote very good
reports after our flights. With these successful aspects of the mission, we
were awarded with third place in all of Canada. We are very happy with this
result since in past years the team did not place at all.

We had a fun time at the competition and gained some new experience, despite
just getting a few hours of sleep each night.

It’s also worth noting that the team who won was Sherbrook (congratulations)
and they also used Paparazzi for their very successful flight. I think
second place went to the University of Toronto, but I don’t know much about
their plane.

Thanks for all the help over the last few months and we’ll get our UAV ready
for next year’s competition!

Cheers,
Matthew