Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Interesting flight with ARDrone2 and master branch

From: Andrew Chambers
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Interesting flight with ARDrone2 and master branch
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:23:38 -0800

In the next few days, I'll do some more testing on older versions of the code. For now, I wanted to describe the exact problem, mention a work around, and see if people knew more.

ardrone2 firmware: 2.4.3
git master HEAD

During operation, the magnetometer readings will stop updating. Other data such as gyro and accelerometer continue to work. This is surprising since all the data is sent in a block from the nav board to the main ardrone2 board.

When the magnetometer stops working, I can do the following and it will start working again.
1. Telnet to the vehicle (192.168.1.1)
2. Start bin/program.elf
3. Kill bin/program.elf
4. Restart communication on the nav board (echo -e -n "\1" > /dev/ttyO1)

The program.elf (parrot's software) must be doing some magic to restart the nav board. I'm interested in finding a better solution. I believe that there is also a way to send a reset to the nav board (gpio 181 -d ho 1) but that doesn't seem to help.

Looking at the raw hex stream from the nav board, I see the identical data from the magnetometer so I don't believe it is a problem with our parsing code. Instead I think it is the way that we set up the nav board and/or fail to perform some required interaction with the nav board.

Finally I notice something interesting when using the standard parrot code. I can watch a hexdump from the nav board and if I hold the serial port open, the data will eventually stop and I'll get a warning in the parrot iphone app about "PIC watchdog emergency". My feeling is that there is a problem with the nav board and parrot themselves will periodically close the serial port and restart the nav board.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Ben Laurie <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21 February 2014 19:50, AndrewChambers <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm having the exact same problem with my ardrone2. I'm using A/C
> ardrone2_raw from git master. When I turn on the vehicle and view the
> IMU_MAG_RAW message, the magnetometer values (mx, my, mz) will sometimes be
> stuck and never change. If I power cycle the vehicle, sometimes I will start
> getting valid data and sometimes they will be stuck at different values.

This certainly has worked in the past, so it might be worth checking
out older versions to see if they cure the problem. My last flight
(which went fine) was some time before xmas. I'm travelling right now,
but when I get home in a couple of weeks, I'll see if the latest
version behaves itself..