Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 3dr as modem datalink

From: onefastdaddy
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] 3dr as modem datalink
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:34:26 -0800

Hello,

3DR one I have not used. No need to. The XBee works great every time which for me makes it the best.

The XBee is a common parts you can buy around the globe. It will do mesh networking allowing one ground module to act as the coordinator and the aircraft ones to be routers that route the messages to each other.

I do not believe the 3DR radio has encryption. Meaning if you want some guy next door to have the same module and send your drone commands that's ok I suppose. Not sure about fault tolerance etc. It appears to be based on a generic chipset. I see so many different versions on Alibaba and eBay for less than 20 dollars.

Lisa/S maybe using the same chips but they have added extra features that make it attractive and it has a smaller form factor. Here's a link to the 1bit site (http://1bitsquared.com/products/superbit-cyrf-module) I'd recommend that one if you really just do not like XBee for some reason.

-David