[Paparazzi-devel] RSSI message with Xtend modem

From: Michal Podhradsky
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] RSSI message with Xtend modem
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:57:42 -0600

Hello all,

I would like to read the received Signal Strength Indicator for telemetry datalink. I am using Xtend Modem (http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-modems-peripherals/wireless-range-extenders-peripherals/xtend).

There is a set of AT commands for the modem, one of them makes the modem to return the RSSI value.

What would be the best way to seamlessly implement this functionality into paparazzi? Assume I would like to read the RSSI both on the ariplane and the GCS modem.

One (probably the best?) option is to add another message, and edit the messages.xml parser so the function DOWNLINK_SEND_RSSI does contain the right AT header (instead of the transparent header). I am just not sure which ocaml files to edit.

Another option would be to sneak in your own message (uart_transmit ... ) and then wait for the response (the disadvantage is that you might lost some telemetry commands).

Thanks for your comments!
Michal