Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Fwd: Barometric altitude measurements.

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Fwd: Barometric altitude measurements.
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:21:23 +0200

Hi Helge,

I don't think it's a good idea to do the altitude and offset calculation directly in each baro driver.
Serveral reasons: then you have to re-implement the same thing for each baro sensor and it makes it harder to fuse with other data to get better precision/update rate and also estimate the (changing) baro pressure offset (QFE).

In the baro_abi branch/pull request we mostly cleaned this up. Every baro sensor just publishes the absolute pressure (in Pascal) and then in the INS this is converted to altitude (taking pressure at field level QFE) using the barometric pressure formula. Then this can also be fused with other sensors and the baro offset can be tracked (e.g. using sonar or GPS).

While this already works well and was also tested in flight, some more tests and feedback (e.g. how to handle the configuration in a nice way) would be very much appreciated.
Also for some of the older analog baro sensors the scale/sensitivity of raw measurements to Pascal has not been confirmed yet (but is confirmed for e.g. ms5611, bmp, mpl3115, ..)

Cheers, Felix