[Paparazzi-devel] Airspeed Sensor

From: Tobias
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Airspeed Sensor
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:31:22 +0200

Hey guys,

I spend some time with the eagle tree to get it working....

so I can confirm that there is a big problem with the offset at startup, thats
why we have the calculation and no fixed values - however if you wane check
your sensor at an pressure difference (maybe the equivalent for 15m/s for
example) you will notice that the drift and noise are well in an acceptable
range, just seems to be an issue with offset at startup...

just an idea for the calibration - some years ago I also started with
calibrating my sensors on a car, but there are two things you should have in
mind
1 you will probably stay inside the boundary layer of the car which will effect
you measurement (hard to overcome when your not at the very front of it...)
2. even if you are able to calibrate it perfectly you will get IAS when mounted
to your plane...

sounds good, but its not since you will have to correct this for the mounting
error to get CAS (which is actually named as IAS in PPZ)

so what I do, is just checking the GS compared to IAS(ppz) in a constant circle
at constant altitude.
IAS should be exactly in the middle between GSmax and GSmin
if it is, you probably calibrated it perfectly and therefor already corrected
for any mounting error (you got CAS!)
if not adjust the scaling factor
thats an quick and easy way and is working just fine

just a tip, I changed to this sensor which has a temperature sensor and i2c,
the code is already in v5 - looks very promising
http://www.amsys.de/products/ams5812.htm

hope that helps ;-)

Tobi