Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Beginner

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Beginner
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:00:35 +1000

I'm also not very experienced with multis but can share some mistakes :)

The biggest mistake I made at the start was using very cheap props, figuring that I was going to break a few so might as well not overcapitalise. False economy, it cost me more than I had saved the first time one broke in flight for no obvious reason, as well as extra effort balancing them. Suggest you start with mid range fiber-reinforced props, for example nylon/glass "APC" type or carbon/ABS (the type that's not especially expensive but marketed as "carbon props"). Balance them if they need it.

Like Chris (Hendrix), I also standardized on 10*4.8 props and 3S LiPos. I use motors in 850-1000 kv range. This seems to be the sweet spot for cheap and cheerful multis, but is big enough to be quite dangerous so going a bit smaller wouldn't be bad idea either.

My best experience was with one of the "flamewheel 450 clones". These perform OK and are very cheap, and replacing broken arms is quick and easy to do in the field.  I don't care when I break an arm because so far, after a few crashes, that's all that's broken. Some kind of sacrificial element.

Get plenty of spare parts (arms), waiting for replacements to arrive in the mail is very boring.

If you can cut and drill aluminium accurately then bolting one together from locally available materials probably isn't a bad idea either.

Chris Gough