Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ChibiOS port

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] ChibiOS port
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:56:29 +0200

Hi Hector,

good to know because I have started my own port, but I was not aware that other people were also porting ChibiOS to ppz.

Why do you want to use opencm3 and not the HAL provided by ChibiOS? (I guess it covers all the common micros in ppz, AT91SAM, STM32 and LPC)

Because we essentially already have our own HAL (mcu_periph) and it would mean rewriting all of our drivers (as well as having different drivers for use with ChibiOS than without).
What we (mostly) want/need is the scheduler... Ideally we would be able to keep nearly everything as it is, only replacing the tasks in main with real tasks (and dealing with shared access to some global vars via semaphores/mutexes).

We will have to see if/how it works out...
This also doesn't necessarily preclude from using the ChibiOS HAL as another option (e.g. making a new ChibiOS arch and writing glue code to our mcu_periph).

How far are you along, what have you done so far? Which approach did you take, what were the problems?
Would make sense to work on this together :-)
Is it somewhere on github?