Re: [Paparazzi-devel] FPV app on AppStore for H.264 wifi video links

From: Gerard Toonstra
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] FPV app on AppStore for H.264 wifi video links
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:26:35 -0300

I actually migrated from Linux to the Mac. My initial idea was to run the HD display on a device like the Pandaboard or
a raspberry. These are light enough to carry into the field and have HDMI or DVI outs. ( the objective of all this was to
get streaming HD video on the ground, so HD goggles are an assumption ).

I moved from the Linux to the Mac for primarily 2 reasons:
- The H.264 decoding on these platforms is done by totally closed DSP chips, so are uncontrollable if latency is not up to par.
- The display drivers for Linux on the Mac didn't work for my HMZ-T1 goggles after 10.10 or so. So the drivers are an issue.

On the Mac everything just works and I'm also using it as a home theater and company administration machine.

Well, as a quick workaround… I believe my research thread also contains information on how I did the decoding back then.
If you have gstreamer installed, you can construct a simple gstreamer cmd line to put the video on the desktop.
This won't give you the OSD or any other functionality, but it's a start.

I'm impressed with the visual performance of the HMZ-T1, but not so much its ergonomics. There's another goggle set I'm curious
about qua performance, which is the ST-1080. That one is much more portable into the field and runs off a 5V battery pack. Could be
a better choice, but I haven't used them yet. The Rift has been mentioned by some, but that definitely needs an SDK.
It won't display the desktop correctly without it (see FAQ), so you'd end up creating a 3D environment with texture mapped quads or something
to be able to see the entire screen (it's fov is too wide and pixel projection density is not constant it seems, with pixels getting less density in peripheral vision).

If anyone wants to know how I created a very low-latency video stream from a desktop running the flight simulator, let me know.

Rgds,