Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Frsky telemetry receiver

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Frsky telemetry receiver
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:47:31 +0000

On 18/03/13 11:39, Tilman Baumann wrote:
> On 06/08/12 20:02, Chris wrote:
>> It is probably a dump idea but i was wondering if there is any
>> possibility to steer the modem data (tx only of course) through the
>> telemetry serial port of modern telemetry capable receivers like the Frsky.
>> It looks like there is one transparent serial port in the receiver that
>> comes out from
>> the tx module's serial port (rs232).
> I's not transparent. Unfortunately.
> It expects a frame format like the one from the FrSky Telemetry hub.
> FrSky was nice enough to publicly document that data format.
> But it's rather useless for us as telemetry link. And there is no word
> on througput and latency.

Whoooah. Exciting developments are happening.

FrSky is working on a new transmitter which is going to be absolutely
awesome. (It will be able to run Open9x firmware. FrSky is working
closely with the community to ensure that)
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ad/lIST.ASP

I just found a awesome nugget about their new telemetry protocol.
SmartPort is a full duplex serial protocol and you can put in user input
and output. Awesome!

I'm really excited about that stuff already. But I had no idea how great
it's going to be. This is the future!