Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New IMU in YAPA

From: Mauro Garcia Acero
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New IMU in YAPA
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:15:16 +0100

Dear Hector,

yes, kalman filtering improves very much the performance on attitude estimation, but using better sensors, the accuracy of the measurement increases also. The thing is using fuel engines, vibrations may completely change the scenario of attitude determination because of the noise in the measurements.

AD claims to have produced, with this unit, a very reliable unit outperforming other military grade IMUs on vibration rectification.

http://www.analog.com/en/press-release/11_08_11_10-DoF_MEMS_IMU_Makes_Tactical_Grade_Perf/press.html

Looking at MPU6000 specs, they claim for a consumer grade cost effective IMU, which means to me that the stability of their gyros is far away from something reliable considering missions of several hours. ADIS16488 claims for a ARW of 0.3 °/√hr. But I don't find this specs of MPU6000. Same for accel specs.

In the webpage here after, there is an interesting description on the different grades of IMUs and their uses:

http://www.vectornav.com/support/library?id=76

I'm not saying that MPU6000 is a bad IMU, it is a good IMU for determined kind of missions and uses, as well as ADIS16488 is more adapted to other ones (still to be confirmed).

Anyway, talking about integrating this SPI IMU into paparazzi, what do you propose? To begin from scratch with a new module or to reuse other existing module, for instance a SPI IMU?

Best regards,
Mauro.