Re: [Paparazzi-devel] comparison between I2c and PWM Esc (evan igor)

From: Sergey Krukowski
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] comparison between I2c and PWM Esc (evan igor)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:12:28 +0100

So far the I2C bus is truly digital, the commands to motor controller are very definitive, so the motor controller can better follow the AP commands. However this solution requires very carefull schema for a stable work. Also the bus speed must be as low as possible, though it's pretty difficult with a large rotor number. But sometimes non of this works with a particular ESC, and the bus doesn't work stable. What concerns PWM, the PWM signal is interpreted very ESC type dependent. For example, I've had really weird stuffs with MKK controllers and PWM signal. Each controller was working with a completely different PWM level, so it was a real challenge to set them to work properly. However if you are not using cheap noname PWM ESCs, everything should be ok. And it's also necessary to calibrate it's turn on PWM level. But in general PWM solution is more reliable. And the best thing there is that there are lots of different ESCs available with wide voltage and current range.
Regards,
Sergey