Re: [Paparazzi-devel] module period accuracy ???

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] module period accuracy ???
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:19:53 +1100

Is there some way to sync the camera(s) from the timer pin on the GPS? That should never drift.

Chris Gough

On 17/10/2012, at 6:12 PM, Christophe De Wagter <address@hidden> wrote:

The exact timing of WHEN a module periodic is executed is not very accurate. e.g. when you click compute_local_magnetic_field or initialize_polygon_survey it might even be 20ms off. The amount of times per second it is executed is accurate.

If you have spare serial ports (lisa has pleanty) you could use a very low bitrate serial port (I don't know how low it can be: 300 bits/sec 10bits/sec?)

Or you could have a very small function be called in an interrupt routine / timer.

But I think something else is the real problem and your module could do just fine even if the timing is sometimes slightly (usually not more than 1/500 of second) off.

How fast does the CHDK loop run versus your module loop? How do you know CHDK is not sampling exacly while the LED changes since the 2 loops are not time synced? In order to be observable, the CHDK loop needs to be at least twice as fast as the module, and you need to sample each bit twice to not miss a bit an even more like three times if you also need to know its peak level. --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem

I know this reduces the speed again, but I believe it is the only way to get a certain data transfer. Even if paparazzi makes the pulses at perfect intervals, the CHDK loop might be slightly non-constant too, or clocks might drift in time a bit and then the problem remains.

If you really need to boost the frequency to transfer commands faster, CHDK can read analog voltages, so you can encode several bits into 1 voltage. E.g. to encode 2 bits in 1 analog signal you can use 2 resistors:

-LED1 <--->  20k  <--\

                     +----->  CHDK

-LED2 <--->  10k  <--/

L1    L2    ->  CHDK