Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Successful flights with total energy control loops

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Successful flights with total energy control loops !
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:56:29 +0100

On 28/09/12 00:24, Gerard Toonstra wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the energy here refers to the total sum of potential energy (altitude) and kinetic energy (velocity). Knowing your plane data, you can figure out what a desired energy sum should be in a given context and then figure out what the current energy sum is by measuring airspeed and altitude. This allows you to use the throttle to increase or decrease energy. The pitch is then a "command" that allows you to exchange kinetic energy for potential energy or vice versa.

My intention is to use the EzOSD current sensor. This has a chip underneath the sensor that does all the nasty work for you. It measures the voltage and the current, which is all you need (it does mAh consumed too) and you get that through i2c. You then need to configure the capacity of the packs you're flying with in paparazzi.
Do you know which chip that is?

I came across this chip some time ago. Always wanted to give it a shot.
http://www.ti.com/product/ina219

HAL effect based sensor would be much cooler. But I could not quickly find a digital version.