Re: [Paparazzi-devel] new LISA/L

From: Piotr Esden-Tempski
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] new LISA/L
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:40:33 -0700

Hi Guys,

I think it is a bad idea to add another hardware to the collection. I think
creating a more modular system is a much better idea.

That is why we started work on the LGS (Lisa/Lia GumStix). It is a breakout
board for the Gumstix that mates under the Lisa/M or Lia boards.

You can see the current system diagram and requirements here:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Lisa_Gumstix_Breakout

Having a modular system makes it easier to decide what parts one needs and
which not. Not everyone needs all the features and wants to take the weight and
size penalty for flying them around. Also it makes development and progress
easier as one does not have to revision and manufacture the whole monolithic
hardware making it easier to make use of economies of scale too.

The LGS is just the beginning, adding Gumstix to already stable and tested core
hardware.

Additionally what is needed besides that to get the Lisa/L functionality are
static/differential pressure modules.

A datalogger already exists thanks to Martin Müller and Christophe DeWagter.
Also the Gumstix has a micro SD card that one can log full rate data on using
the vehicle interface.

Please add your ideas and requirements to the discussion page here:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Lisa_Gumstix_Breakout

Cheers Esden

--
Transition Robotics Inc.