[Paparazzi-devel] circular polarized antenna hype

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] circular polarized antenna hype
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:30:56 +0100

What is up with those circular polarized antennas that are all the rage in the FPW world right now?
http://www.fpvuk.org/equipment/circular-polarized-antennas/

The problems they are trying to avoid should be present in telemetry as well. Which is loss of signal when antennas are out of phase. (Vertical vs. Horizontal)

I wonder, would it make sense to hook one of those cloverleaves to a XBee? How does the fact that we use bidirectional signals the efficiency of those?
Has anyone tried? Should trials be made?
Do I understand correctly that only one side should be circular polarized? Or should have receiver and transmitter the same antenna?

I thought I bring that up since it has not been discussed here as far as I know. I'm curious in your opinions.

 Tilman