Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Difference Between Fixed-point and Floating-point

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Difference Between Fixed-point and Floating-point Schemes
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:50:08 +0200

floats have LOWER precision as you need to store the exponent. you loose 13 bits there. in fixedpoint the exponent is written in the code so you can use all 32 bits to store your number:

e.g. in INT you can encode global position with 1cm resolution, while in float it is 2.5m resolution....

floats are much, MUCH slower in non-floating CPU like our ARM autopilots...

-Christophe