Re: [Paparazzi-devel] paparazzi user edition?

From: Chris Gough
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] paparazzi user edition?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 02:06:47 +1000

>> I've thought about a web-based tool for configuring and compiling
>> firmware
>
> +1, I've got some source code kicking around somewhere.  The trick is:
> - trusting the remote compiler

If web tool stored "config files" virtually, in a RDBMS, and rendered
XML from templates as required (much like web pages), there should be
plenty of scope for input sanitisation etc.

> - securing the remote against malicious attack code

For a few reasons, I had imagined a worker process (such as celeryd)
pulling compilation jobs from a message queue (such as RabbitMQ),
rendering the config out before building and then publishing it. So,
assuming careful sanitisation upstream (into the config DB), no real
opportunity to send arbitrary code directly to the native toolchain.
Not foolproof, but not a gaping hole either.

Chris Gough