Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UAV with FPV system

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] UAV with FPV system
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:19:56 +0100

Hi Felizardo,

2.4GHz video and anything else on 2.4GHz (telemetry, RC link, whatever) just doesn't work. The cheap analogue video transmitter just swamps everything else, even at 10mW.

We are based in the UK, so don't have the luxury of 900MHz.
We typically use 5.8GHz 20mW video, which has a shorter range, with a big patch antennae groundside.
That way you can use 2.4GHz telemetry & 2.4GHz RC link.
We use GoPros connected via the AV/Out to provide the video, or Sony/Panasonic cheapie CCD cameras.

Hobbyking video transmitters are fine; in the UK, almost all of the video transmitters seem to be made in the same factory anyway. All that differs is the stickers on the casings & the price, often by several orders of magnitude...

In countries which allow it, I'd be tempted to try 900MHz video for the increased propagation distance. Power isn't everything because of inverse square; better investing in really good aerials/receivers.

If you want to record video on your laptop you'll need a USB video capture device; we use Pinnacle DVC-100s because we know they work with linux. Be aware you won't be able to fly via that unless you have a very slow reacting plane, because of the digitization lag (0.5-1 sec). If we think we may need emergency flying via video we split the incoming AV signal and connect a set of video goggles.

Cheers,
Gareth